The immune system plays a vital role in your overall health. In short, it is the body’s first line of defence that keeps us healthy.
Switching up your diet is one of the best ways to support your immune system naturally.
Fruits and vegetables, for example, are a great source of vitamin C that supports a healthy immune system. Other foods like nuts, seeds and fatty fish are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, that can help support healthy cardiovascular function and healthy cognitive function.
Loading up on a few of the top immune system–supporting foods is a simple way to promote immune system health. Supporting foods like fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds are typically rich in the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Not only that, but these foods can also provide other key nutrients as well, including fiber, protein and good fats.
- Fruits: apples, oranges, lemons, limes, kiwi, papaya, melons, berries
- Vegetables: bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, cauliflower, beetroot, carrots, and my personal favourite barley grass juice powder.
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts
- Seeds: chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Protein Foods: grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish, free-range poultry, eggs, legumes
- Whole Grains: corn couscous, quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat
- Fats and Oils: avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil
- Herbs and Spices: ginger, garlic, cinnamon, black pepper
- Beverages: green tea, coconut water, herbal teas
Food to Avoid:
Foods that are heavily processed and refined, often contain ingredients, such as artificial sweeteners, additives and preservatives, that you should be avoided.
Other products like baked goods or refined carbs also often contain high amounts of added sugar, which can take a toll on many aspects of health, including immune system health.
Here are a few foods that you may want to limit or avoid that suppress the immune system:
- Processed Foods: fried foods, baked goods, fast food, convenience meals
- Refined Carbs: white bread, pasta, crackers, chips, tortillas
- Processed Meats: bacon, salami, sausages, lunch meats
- Sugary Beverages: soda, fruit juice, sweet tea, sports drinks, energy drinks
- Added Sugar: high-fructose corn syrup, table sugar, agave nectar, molasses
|Are you wanting to live a healthier life but not sure where to start? |
Do you have a friend or family member battling with a chronic illness that need some answers?
Contact me for an online consultation, and let us work together to get you on the path to optimal health, for a happier and healthier you!