From ancient times people have been taking nutritional supplements. They started with natural herbs often homegrown which were usually brewed into teas and tonics.
Now they have become more sophisticated and are available in all sorts of pills, capsules, liquids and of course teas of all sorts.
What are nutritional supplements?
Nutritional supplements are used to add nutrients to our diets that are missing or not taken in large enough quantities. They can be synthetic or from natural sources. The key is to try get them as close to nature as possible, so when you take them the body then knows exactly what to with them (bioavailable) oppose to many synthetic supplements that are just passed out the body.
Why do we need nutritional supplements?
These supplements are not intended to replace meals but enhance our diets. There are several reasons its important to consider including natural supplements in your daily diet.
• Environment: our environment has deteriorated over the years and we are now getting more toxins from the air, the water and even in the foods we eat, than ever before. Our bodies have to work more to protect and rid ourselves of these unwanted substances. Therefore it is wise for us to take nutritional supplements to help our bodies to do this.
• Stress: Stress will cause your body to function less efficiently. This will put your body at risk for a number of things, especially low resistance for disease. Supplements, especially Glyconutrients will help your body’s immune system get stronger and also help your body function better. Stress depletes magnesium from our bodies which is needed for over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body and the production of specific hormones.
• Poor eating habits: Due to modern lifestyles and the exploitation of how our foods are grown, we are no longer getting the important nutrients our bodies need to keep us in good health. Soils are depleted of selenium which is needed as an essential mineral to help in cancer prevention.
This makes it necessary for us to take supplements to enhance our diets and add important nutrients to our diets.
• Athletic activities: when we partake in more exercise then normal, our bodies need more nourishment. A professional athlete or even someone doing extra workouts require more nutrition.
• Part of a weight loss plan: when you go on a diet to lose weight you will be eating less and running the risk of not getting enough of the essential nutrients in your diet that your body needs. Therefore embarking on a weight loss plan that helps you to lose weight the healthy way is important to ensure you are able to reach your goal weight and maintain it without sacrificing essential nutrients in the process.
If you not sure what the right supplements are for you and what you should be taking, I invite you to book a free supplement consultation with me where I can advise you as a nutrition professional on what products are the best to take for your individual condition.
Remember it’s important to look for natural supplements oppose to synthetic options, as well as to ensure the minerals and vitamins listed are present with their synergistic partners to enable the body to use them efficiently.